Taillight Tinting by (Dante)
Well, So many people have been wanting to do this modification, so I decided to go ahead and do a write up. First off, this modification is illegal in all 50 states. Please be cautious when applying this to your car. Let's get started.
1) You will have to buy the following items to complete this job correctly:
- 7oz can of NightShades (Available at SummitRacing)
- Clearcoat Auto Spray (Any automotive store)
- Masking tape
- Extra newspaper
- 2000 grit sandpaper (Make sure it can be used when wet)
2) Go to your cougar, open the trunk, and remove the carpeting around the tailights, remove the three screws that are attached to each tailight. All you have to do is slowly pull the tailights out, and remove the five light housings from each side.
3) Once both tailights are disassembled from the car, start masking off each light with masking tape and newspaper. Make sure you cover the entire light with masking tape except the two boobs that you want to tint.
4) Make sure the reverse portion of your light (white area) is full covered with masking tape and the line that separates it from the brake light is straight. (Take your time when covering each light)
5)Before we start spraying, take some water and a towl and clean each light throughly so all dust, dirt, and particles are removed.
6)Once both lights are completely masked off, go outside or into a garage that has air circulation, and get ready to start spraying.
7)Shake up the can of Nightshades for at least a minute, and make sure you are at least 12"-16" from each light before you start spraying. The first coat should be light. Go in a side-to-side motion and don't spray excessivelly. Do a light coat and let it set for at least 20 minutes.
8)From now on, you may add as many coats as you'd like till you get the desirable darkness. I would recommend no more then 4 coats. (Wait at least 20 minutes between coats for each coat to dry)
9)Once the tailights is dry, we will begin wetsanding each light so we get a smooth surface. Take your 2000 grit paper and apply water to both the sandpaper and your tailight. Start sanding down every area you tinted until a smooth surface is touchable. Use circulat motion, and MAKE SURE the sandpaper is always wet. This usually can take up to an hour for both tailights to become very smooth.
10)After each surface of the tailight is smooth, mask off the tailight once again for the clearcoat.
11)Take your clearcoat paint, and shake it up well. Just like applying the NightShades, do it in a side-to-side motion, however, use only two coats max. The coats can be thicker then the NightShades, just make sure you don't let the spray paint run. (Wait 20 minutes per coat to dry)
12)After the coats have dried, wetsand all areas sprayed with clearcoat to a smooth surface. Use the same process shown above.
13)Once the tailights feel like a babies bottom, your done! No need to pay a professional to do it, snap those babies back on your car and enjoy. (Make sure they have fully dried)
Wetsanding can be a long process, however, it's worth it. You can do this to your third brakelight also, but I would not recommend it. This How-To nor NECO forums are responsible for any tickets, violations, etc. Thanks!